Dashboard


Sunday, December 16, 2007

Dec 16 morning big session - can't win 'em all

Three tables x $2.40.

Limp in to see a flop with 66 and throw a half pot bet at a 887 flop and take it down.

Pot it with JJ. Bet and raise before me on 8 high flop. I commit myself with my overpair and get the bad news that 88 hit. I didn't feel good about that one but so hard to tell A8 from 88 in that situation. Buy up to full stack on that table.

Pick up JJ, flop an overpair and pot it, call. K on turn, check, check. River forms a four card straight and it is bet at. Fold.

Pick up some more big pairs and KK gets many .30 callers and I shove on a J high flip. Reasonable sized pot.

When are pocket aces not the favored hand pre-flop? Pick up AA with two limps a min-raise and a call in front of me. I shove for .98 and get called by...the other two aces. Pay the Cake tax and chop up the rest.

A raise to .22 and two callers ahead of my KK. I shove and get AhQh heads up. I flop top set but with two hearts. Turn blanks. River fills his straight. I didn't like that one.

This has to be a sign. Dealt true SpainR two times in a row at the same table. I took the sign and folded both times.

I shove with AKos and get called by AhKh. Pay more Cake tax, chop it up.

Time to take a break. One last orbit.

I shove with AKos and get a courtesy double up by that power house hand, Q7.

Take down blinds with AKos.

One last AKos pot bet and cbet on J high flop and I'm out.

$9.60 in buy-ins (due to having my JJ set mined against) and cash out for $6.71. Net -$2.89 for an overall total of 88 straight.

I had a bad feeling about the 8 high flop and my JJ. The raise after the bet was setting off alarms. If it has just been a bet from the set then I would have felt more comfortable shoving there. I wasn't beating much that was raising a bet except for 99 or TT and maybe A8. Getting KK cracked by AQ again was disappointing. But I wanted to start cranking through a lot more hands to iron out variance and even though I lost a couple of big pots and had some medium pots not go my way I was only down a litle more than a buy-in. I had been spoiled recently by great cards holding up and this session slapped me back into reality but I'm keeping my buy-ins small to keep my fluctuations constrained to a narrow path so even bad beats can't ding my roll that much.

I did feel that I was pressing a little after my JJ hand but I made sure to center myself and stick to game plan with my starting hands. That's why getting my KK cracked was even more disappointing than normal because that would have gotten be back over the top. Still, I stuck to plan and got the ending total into respectable territory.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Some of the sessions I consider my "most successful" on Cake have been where I suffered an ugly beat or two early, and then ground my way back to near-even or even. I think Marsh can attest to that as well.

When you can fade some rough beats, stay on course, and crawl back up, you know you are playing a solid game and avoiding costly tilt.